Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Improvements Start With Time and Effort

Like most parents, I am hard-pressed for time.  Finding time to be involved in your community is vital, but often, is found last on a long list of priorities among low-income and/or struggling families.  Despite the challenges a Petersburg parent my face, we all need to do our part.  It is not always about the amount of time you have, but more the effort that you make.  I took another step in making those efforts, arranging a meeting with Petersburg Superintendent Dr. Melvin.  Our meeting was short, but effective.  We both spoke openly, candidly, and from the heart, which made finding mutual respect simple right away.  I was not there to rail-road or be-little our schools.


Here are a few of the topics we spoke about:

Facilities:  We both agreed that the buildings, grounds, and facilities need improvement.  This is an area any citizen can help, supporting some much needed improvements through City Council, especially budget time.  Think of things this way...if you play golf, don't you take things more serious and play better when you have nice clubs, outfit, and such?  The same thing applies to our schools.

Communication:  We both agreed that communication is an challenge here.  Of course, it should start with parents establishing some form of personal contact with the school.  I stressed "outside-of-the-box" thinking and approach.  He mentioned pushing the "customer-service" aspects for school management to attract return parent involvement.  

Discipline:  My dealings with Walnut Hill Elementary last year exposed what I consider to be a very big issue - a lack of proper and alternative discipline.  I mentioned several Kindergarten suspensions last year.  My research on the subject led me to several former grade-school teachers, none of which ever .

Scheduling and Attendance:  We discussed the tight morning schedules at Walnut Hill Elementary and the other schools.  I identified that the morning schedule was crazy, leaving kids waiting outside of locked doors, sometimes for 15 minutes, just to get in and still have to rush to get to class on time.  I suggested opening the doors earlier for those willing to take advantage of it.  Dr. Melvin seemed open to the idea, even admitting using a similar format when he was a Elementary School teacher.

Walnut Hill Elementary:  Beside the morning schedule, we also spoke about the expectations for the students, teachers, and administrators at Walnut Hill Elementary.  I expressed concerns about the new principle, last years experiences, and some much needed improvements.

Guidance Councilors:  Dr. Melvin seems somewhat shocked that I had never met our school Guidance Councilor, especially regarding any regular behavioral issues.  I would imagine, before long, I may actually see this phantom Councilor. 

Virginia Opportunity Education Institution Amendment and Recent Proclamation:  Earlier this week, the Petersburg Public School board joined many schools in issuing a "Proclamation" supporting a law-suit against the state regarding Gov. Bob McDonald's OEI amendment, passed in February (supported by Delegate Dance), to take effect starting the 2014 school year.  The supporting parties of the lawsuit, which all happen to be struggling school systems, believe it to be unconstitutional.  Though the Attorney General may not be willing to defend the lawsuit, this amendment is far from appealed just yet.  The amendment puts in place, among other things, a method by which an under-performing schools would be taken over by a state OEI board.  We both agreed that a state takeover is likely not the best answer, but I do believe there has to be a "watch-dog" of sorts to inspire progress in these schools.  

"The TRUTH About Petersburg Public Schools" Blog:  Though only mentioned as I left, I did explain that I write a blog about our schools.  I explained that I want it to reflect the good and the bad...the TRUTH.  I mentioned how we should not shelter or hide our hardships, short-comings, and challenges from the public.  I offered to support them, both in person and with the blog, as far as approaching the city about additional funding.


I would highly suggest to any parent to follow my lead and reach out about your concerns.  Mine were not answered exactly, but you get a better sense of connection.  For me, I think I realize now, more than ever, that part of the problem here is getting parents to make the effort...establish a connection...be involved in whatever way possible.  Frankly, every citizen, not just parents, should do the same.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment