Friday, November 21, 2014

Seeing the Light!

Below is an email I sent to the Petersburg City Public Schools Superintendent and my for representative on the Petersburg City School Board...

I am sure you remember me...my name is Charles Barr.  Last year and the year before, my son attended Walnut Hill Elementary School.  We discussed the many issues we had throughout both tumultuous years. 

After last years struggles, I seemed faced with a tough decision - move to find better schools or stick things out in my hometown of Petersburg.  After seeing a consistent decline in Walnut Hill Elementary Schools quality of education and a severe lack of community support, I felt I was given no choice but to move out of my home-town of Petersburg in an effort to find better schooling for my son.  At that time, I had doubts that this would resolve all of the issues we seemed to encounter in Petersburg.  We even feared that, because he barely passed 1st grade there at Walnut Hill, that he would likely struggle and that things could be more difficult until he caught up.

In September of this year, we moved to Prince George where we registered our son at Beazley Elementary School.  Our first interactions with the school, besides registration, was the open house prior to the start of school.  My first impressions where that the facility looked older and smaller.  After meeting his principle and teacher, we were pleased with how calm, pleasant and organized they seemed.  I was also shocked to find the required school supply list was literally less than half of what was required at Petersburg.

The first couple weeks, our son struggled, exhibiting a few of the same issues he seemed to have at Petersburg...not paying attention, talking or moving about the class room, and just not doing his work all the time.  After about 2 weeks, though, his teacher and us got that under control.  Even though he did struggle his first 9 weeks grade wise, we have seen amazing improvements in our son's behavior, reading, and grades.  Even more importantly, he now loves school and reading!  

I have been amazed at how much better my son's educational experience has been since moving.  The difference between Petersburg City Public Schools and Prince George County Public Schools is far greater then I ever imagined.  When I think of the many friends, other parents and children who are still enduring Petersburg City Public Schools I feel sick to my stomach.

Frankly, we do not allow people to physically abuse or sexually abuse our children, so why should residents of Petersburg be forced to allow Petersburg City Public Schools to educationally abuse our kids?  Sure, parents could pay for private schooling or move, but those are not options for most people.  Residents do, in fact, pay for what is supposed to be an adequate public school education.  After a battle with cancer, our family was only able to move because of help from family and the pure grace of God.  

Even more importantly to ask (more posed at our School Board, fellow Virginians, and fellow Americans, but still worth you hearing)...

How on EARTH did we let things get this bad in Petersburg?

How is it even legal for such a horrible school system to still be allowed operate?

How can we allow two schools systems, funded similarly and basically neighbors, to be so drastically far apart in quality of education?

Moving to Prince George to find better schools has turned out to be one of the best choices we have made for our son and family.  I feel sorry for the many kids and families who couldn't afford alternatives PCPS.  I am sure, if I were to have stayed, it would have cost my son his future.


Sincerely, 

Charles Barr

No comments:

Post a Comment