Friday, August 16, 2013

Suspending Kindergartners.

So, how do you feel about suspending Kindergartners?

Last year, I dealt with just that at Walnut Hill Elementary School, in Petersburg, VA.  My son had an issue with another student constantly messing with him.  Even at 5 years old, he was not going to take it.  When left unsupervised and pinched, he lashed back.  No one was hurt.  When I picked him up from school, the after-school care lady mentioned that "something had happened during school" and that I would get a call.  No call came.  For days, my son went to school, trouble free.  Then, 4 days later, a letter is sent home, suspending him for 2 days.  I was irate because of the nature of the "alleged" incident and the fact that I was never contacted.  So, in true blogger fashion, I penned this jewel of a letter to appeal the suspension, emailed it to my representative on the School Board, and delivered in hand to his principle.  I later met and spoke with the assistant principle, who issued the suspension.  When she was asked about alternative forms of punishment for children, she had no answer...they only had suspension.  Suspending very young children is cruel, unorthodox, and just lazy.  Teachers need to have the time and patience to help guide these young children, not just scare and shock them into submission.  Needless to say, it was repealed and my son only missed part of a day of school.

When I polled several retired elementary school teachers, including one principle, none of them had ever even heard of a Kindergartner being suspended for any reason.  So why is it different in Petersburg?  Well, for one, lack of experienced, properly trained Elementary School teachers.  I believe that the pressure from City officials and the School Board for improvements in SOL scores has created a hostile work environment.  There is no doubt in my mind that Petersburg teachers face more obstacles.  I am also sure that the children here are more challenging, most coming from low-income households.  Parents have been poorly welcomed into being involved in the schools for decades, so few parents visit the school on a regular basis.  

One thing is for sure...change is needed.  I know that if I witness my child, or any other child, being yelled at this year, I will be sure to personally belittle that teacher and complain/report them until the issue is resolved. I suppose the child should feel lucky he/she was yelled at and not just blindly and ignorantly suspended.  I plan on talking to the new principle, whoever that would be, about suspensions and alternative punishments that actually teach right from wrong, but I am just one parent and really, they should already know that suspension is a last resort kind of punishment for a young child.




No comments:

Post a Comment